DiveTab uses the device-type tag to specify which devices, or categories of devices, show the chosen data or content areas.
The device-type tag uses attributes to specify either categories or specific device types. The device types include:
android-phone—The area is only visible on the Android phone.
android-tablet—The area is only visible on the Android tablet.
ipad—The area is only visible on the iPad.
iphone—The area is only visible on the iPhone.
pc-desktop—The area is only visible on a PC desktop.
The categories include:
- phone—Includes android-phone or iphone
- tablet—Includes android-tablet or ipad
- desktop—Includes pc-desktop
- all—Includes all devices and categories.
TIP: You can specify multiple categories or devices by using a comma to separate them in a list. For example, "phone, desktop, ipad".
When the device-type tag is not included, areas use the following default devices and categories:
- Data Areas—"tablet, desktop"
- DivePort Areas—"tablet, desktop"
- Stamp Areas—"ipad, iphone, desktop"
- Survey Areas—"ipad, iphone"
- User Presentation Areas—"desktop"
- All other area types use the "all" category. This includes document, export, menu, presentation, repository, subsets, and web page areas.
IMPORTANT: All areas referenced in a menu have the same device-type settings as the menu-area.
NOTE: If all the areas contained within a menu-area are hidden on a device, the entire menu is hidden.
Pages can be tailored towards specific devices to make use of their different formats and capabilities. For example, smart phone devices (Android and iPhone) have a small footprint, so they cannot store a lot of information. Also, the screen is much smaller, limiting the amount of information that can display. Making areas specific to device types limits the data stored on your devices.
Keep the following tips in mind when developing DiveTab for Android phone and iPhone:
- Limit the need for users to scroll or rotate the screen by reducing the number of columns. Two to three columns is ideal.
- Instead of multiple columns, consider using a single column with multiple items within the single column.
- Ad hoc, central, and overview page types are not supported.
- Tap a phone number to dial.
- Tap an email address to open the default email application.