As this week is both National Nurses Week and National Hospital Week, we’d like to take a moment to salute medical professionals who work tirelessly day in and day out on behalf of their patients. In addition, we’d like to thank our healthcare customers who provide excellent care to their patients, and who allow us to help them get there.
Medical professionals face a number of challenges in their jobs, ranging from the difficulties of patient care to the uncertainties of public policy to the demands of technology. Here we’d like to talk about just a couple of our healthcare customers who are successfully navigating these challenges.
Sarasota Memorial Hospital
Sarasota Memorial Hospital is an 819-bed regional medical center located in Florida. The organization has earned several recognitions for patient care, including:
- The only hospital in Florida to receive a 5-star rating from Medicare for quality
- “A” grade in patient safety in a national study by the Leapfrog Group
- U.S. News Top Performer for 2016-2017
The reason that Sarasota Memorial receives such commendations is that is has placed a high value on quality and safety throughout the organization. Sarasota sees data as a very strong component to help drive initiatives. This is demonstrated by the way it has implemented Diver Platform throughout the organization.
For example, the hospital is using Diver to help it display scorecards that show information such as monthly volume, length of stay, mortalities, satisfaction, and more. The dashboards were initially set up to help achieve certification but the nursing staff found the dashboards to be valuable in their day to day work and are using this data to improve quality and safety performance daily.
Read more about how Sarasota Memorial is using Diver.
Baptist Health South Florida
Baptist Health South Florida is a regional health system with more than 1,700 beds across six acute care hospitals, 19 urgent care and diagnostic centers and six ambulatory centers. Some of its accomplishments include:
- U.S. News Best Hospital ranking in 2016
- One of Fortune’s 100 Best Companies to Work For
- 4 hospitals received “A” grade in patient safety by the Leapfrog Group
Similar to Sarasota Memorial, Baptist Health is able to achieve such recognitions because of the high value it places on making improvements that push the needle on outcomes. Also like Sarasota, Baptist Health uses technology to enable those changes. Since 2005, the health system has used Diver in a variety of different ways, including:
- Physician scorecarding which allows for internal analysis and interaction between physicians
- Managing orthopedic implant spending
- Standardization of care among all hospitals for improved disease specific outcomes, particularly in the care of CHF patients
- Accreditation of new Breast Center at Miami Cancer Institute
- Capacity and throughput management and many other initiatives
Learn more healthcare stories
Of course, these are just a small sample of the great work our healthcare customers are doing with technology. Ultimately, while technology at times seems challenging to caregivers, when hospitals use it in the right way – one that complements the workflow as opposed to detracts from it – it can yield incredibly positive results.
Learn more about the challenges our healthcare customers are solving in this video. You can also check out customer case studies on our resources page.
- Why Diversity Matters in Decision-Making - February 15, 2022
- 3 Takeaways from KLAS Research’s “Data and Analytics Platforms 2021” Report - October 12, 2021
- 4 Ways to Use the Wisdom of Crowds BI Market Study in Your Buying Research - June 10, 2021