This week, Dimensional Insight is in Las Vegas for the HIMSS16 conference. This is the biggest conference of the year in the healthcare industry, and since many of our readers work at hospitals or health systems (or are otherwise in the industry), we decided to write about some of what’s going on at the conference all this week.
While the exhibition hall officially opens today, yesterday was full of pre-conference activities (such as the CIO Forum) as well as the opening keynote addresses. What is already clear is that this year’s conference will focus a lot on moving from just implementing technology to making that technology do something – namely, better care for patients. To that end, there is a large focus on interoperability and population health.
Keynote address focused on interoperability
I was able to attend part of the opening keynote on Monday evening to hear Sylvia Burwell, Secretary of Health and Human Services, discuss the goals of her department and how technology can support those goals. According to Burwell, the goals of Health and Human Services are:
- Better care
- Spending money more wisely
- Healthier people
Burwell says we need to focus much more on quality of care vs. quantity of care, we need to prioritize wellness and prevention of disease, and we need to unlock patient information. Technology can help support all of these goals. So how do we get there?
- We must demand interoperability. Burwell announced during her speech that many of the largest EHR vendors and healthcare providers have pledged to promote interoperability. You can read more in coverage by Healthcare IT News.
- We must speak the same language. There needs to be a consistency in how data flows from one system to another.
- Data needs to be private and secure. People need to understand how their patient data will be used.
- We need to unlock patient data. Physicians need to be able to share data with specialists and vice versa to ensure quality of patient care.
Best in KLAS awards
A highlight of yesterday for the Dimensional Insight team was that we took home our 5th Best in KLAS award! We were named 2015/2016 Best in KLAS in business intelligence/analytics by KLAS Research and were honored at an awards ceremony with the other Best in KLAS winners last night at the Bellagio. It goes without saying that this is a tremendous honor for us, as the award is based solely on customer feedback. We place a very high emphasis on helping our clients achieve better outcomes, and this award is a reflection of that. Our customers by and large are seeing the results they are expecting from their business intelligence implementations and enabling better patient care.
Dimensional Insight at HIMSS16
If you are at HIMSS16 and would like to visit our booth, we are in booth #5237. We have three healthcare customers in our booth with us and we’ll be providing demos of our Best in KLAS BI platform. Please stop by and say hi!